Getting involved - Upcoming events for the Fall 2017
Time to start getting involved to get a jump start on your career. Below are events that are coming up for the remainder of the Fall 2017 semester that are good opportunities to get connected and more career ready.
IT Connect Career Fair – Time to start getting ready – November 17th
Preparations for the IT connect career Fair are going very good. We have a great group of companies signed up for the event.
Here is what you can expect:
- Panel Discussion: Exploring Diversity and Inclusion in the Tech Industry from 11:30AM to 1:00PM
- Moderator: LeShane Greenhill, CEO & Co-Founder of Sagents and Founder of SalesCocktail
- Career Fair with 25 companies looking for IT talent for full-time and internships from 1:00PM to 4:00PM
- Headshots available for FREE
- Food and drinks available
- 30-minute Information Session from prominent companies
- Amazing opportunity to network and connect
AITP Upcoming Events
- AITP Meeting on Wednesday, October 11th from 4:30PM to 5:45PM
- Guest Speaker - Terence Hillsman - Toastmasters Club Representative
- What is Toastmasters?
- Toastmasters International is a world leader in communication and leadership development. Members improve their speaking and leadership skills by attending one of the 16,400 clubs in 141 countries that make up their global network of meeting locations.http://heartoftennessee.toastmastersclubs.org/
- AITP Volunteer Opportunity – Fundraiser this Saturday 10/14
- Volunteer at the Middle Half (Murfreesboro Half Marathon) on October 14thand help AITP raise $500. Must be available on Saturday morning on 10/14. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to help and be part of the volunteer crew at the finish line.
The IGNITE Etiquette Dinner on October 30th
This delicious meal is sponsored by Redstone Federal Credit Union® and is provided free of charge to students with majors in the Jones College of Business. This special event will give you a chance to practice your manners and social skills outside the classroom. It will be held on campus in the James Union Building on Monday, October 30 from 6:30 to 8:00 pm and will be limited to 100 students. Business attire is required. If you are graduating this December, be sure to sign up for this event and let Jean Wilson prepare you for dining occasions in your professional life. Please stop by the Department of Management (BAS N121) to make your reservation today.
October IGNITE Events
- Tuesday, October 10 2:30–3:30 pm BAS S337 Finding A Mentor–Why, How, Where, Who, and Why Not?
- Let Laura Buckner teach you the details and major career advantages of having a mentor. (By the way, did you know that meeting with a mentor counts in the Business Engagement category of IGNITE?)
- Tuesday, October 10 4:30 – 5:30 pm BAS S306 Networking with LinkedIn
- This workshop will build on what you learned from Dr. Don Roy in the first workshop as well as help students who already have a LinkedIn account. Get more out of LinkedIn and find out how to make it work for you! Reservation required; please stop by the Department of Management, BAS N121.
- Wednesday, October 11 4:30 – 5:45 pm BAS S328 “If Only I’d Known . . . .”
- This is a special opportunity to get real with MTSU graduates and find out what they wish they had known before they graduated about interviewing, career preparation, job offers, et cetera. Learn from their experiences and perhaps even their mistakes. Jean Wilson will be hosting and facilitating this candid event.
- Thursday, October 19 4:30–5:30 pm BAS S262 Successful Budgeting: How to create a budget and stick to it
- This is the second of a series of workshops sponsored by First Tennessee Bank. This workshop focuses on the useful adult skill of managing your money. Budgeting will help you pay off debts and save to meet your goals. Reservation required; please stop by the Department of Management, BAS N121.
- Tuesday, October 24 9:00 – 11:30 am BAS S326 Internship Fair
- This is an opportunity to meet with employers seeking Jones College of Business majors for internships. No reservation is required, but you must wear professional attire and bring your resume.
Need help with your resume? Remember that we have two excellent instructors, Ms. Laura Buckner and Ms. Jean Wilson, available to help you! To meet with Ms. Buckner, you must make an appointment by emailing Laura.Buckner@mtsu.edu. Ms. Wilson has specific days and times available for you with no appointment required: October 11, October 25, and November 8. Please note that on October 11, her available hours have been shortened to 2:00 - 4:00 pm. On October 25 and November 8, her hours will remain 1:00 – 4:00 pm.